Bistro1786 is located in the baroque-styled old town hall, which can be originated back to the 13th century.
The wonderfully renovated building from the “good old days” provides the location for this classic Hungarian homestyle kitchen. It presents a narrow but varied and natural selection from every wine region in Hungary and offers amazing cakes and pastries.
The menu gives an opportunity for everyone who wants a perfect taste of the Hungarian cuisine by choosing from classic Hungarian dishes, like beef stew, chicken paprikash or homemade pasta with bacon and cottage cheese, but also offers the popular Wiener Schnitzel and fresh creative salads. It is also perfectly fit for business lunches because of its’ elegant atmosphere and carefully composed menu.
The building of this town hall of Buda begun in 1702 with the direction of an Italian master architecture, Venerio Ceresola on the remains of small medieval houses. Shortly after, the town hall was extended further- the Magistrate of Buda held its’ first session here on the 6th of June in 1710.
The building has been the administrative centre of the first district of Buda for 160 years and also after the union of Buda and Pest in 1873 for another 70 years.
The date 1786 can be found on an iron gate which leads to the fantastic wine cellar of the building. We immediately fell in love with this handcrafted iron gate and this is how we chose the name of our Bistro.